Publications and Presentations at National/International Conferences
Qurashi S, Chinappa J, Rositano P,Asha, P, SuperPATH: The Australian Experience. Retrospective review if functional outcomes and complication rates of SuperPATH hip replacement of the first 100 cases by a single surgeon, Reconstructive Review, Volume 6, Number 2 July 2016 43-38.
Qurashi S, Chinnappa J, Lord S, Nazha A, Gordon J, Chow J, Driving After Micro Invasive Total Hip Arthroplasty: A Prospective Assessment of Brake Reaction Times, Journal of Arthroplasty, January 2017.
Qurashi S, Walsh W, Jang B, Parr W, Elevated Lip Polyethylene Liners: Is there an ideal lip position?, Presented at APAS 2016 Penang Malaysia.
Qurashi S, Bal G, Chinnappa J, CT assessment of acetabular cup placement in hip arthroplasty using SuperPATH technique, Presented at APAS 2016 Penang Malaysia.
B Zicat, DM Rahme, K Swaraj, S Qurashi, R. Loneragan & H. Van der Wall, Septic arthritis of the acromioclavicular joint: Tc-99m leukocyte imaging. Clin Nucl Med 2006; 31: 145-146.
S Qurashi, GRV Mutton, Bilateral Total knee Replacements: A series of 41 cases in country NSW WA AOA, Perth 3rd April 2004
A Bhimani, R Boyle, M Gillespie, P Morris, W Ishiesh, S Qurashi, A Prospective Randomised Control Trial Evaluating The Role Of Mechanical Acetabular Alignment Guide to Optimise Cup Position, AOA Annual Scientific Congress, ACT, November 2004
S Qurashi, M Solomon, Free Periosteal Grafting: A case of free nonvascularised periosteal grafting in a child with segmental bone defect from infection, Annual Scientific Congress, November 2004
S Qurashi, J Issacs, M Baba, Z Szomor, The diagnostic accuracy of Böhler’s angle in fractures of the Calcaneus, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, St George Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Presented at AORA 2008
Presented at the Australian Orthopaedic Association Annual Scientific Meeting 2008
Presented at The Annual American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons conference in LasVegas February 2009, submitted for publication to JBJS
Qurashi S, Thomas S, Thomas W, Hip Arthroscopy- The European Experience, ASSITOT 2010 Presented at the Il Congresso, ASSITOT/DIVOT, Campidoglio, Roma, June, 2010
Hans Van der Wall, Michael Magee, Loretta Reiter, Clayton Frater, Suleman Qurashi, Robert Loneragan, Degenerative spondylolysis: A concise report of scintigraphic observations. Rheumatology 2006; 45: 209-211.
Dr Qurashi holds academic appointments at the Universities of Sydney and Notre Dame. His current teaching commitments are both at a post graduate and undergraduate level. These include:
- Post graduate Teaching of SuperPATH technique to National and International visiting Surgeons
- An overseas fellowship program for teaching Joint Replacement and Reconstructive surgery.
- Supervision and education of post graduate Advance Orthopaedic trainees (Australian Specialist Training) as part of the Australian Orthopaedic Association, NSW
- Fellowship Pre Exam coaching to final year Advance Trainees in Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery
- Undergraduate Medical teaching at Notre Dame University, Hawkesbury Campus
- Undergraduate Medical teaching at University of Sydney, Nepean Campus
In the past Dr Qurashi’s teaching commitments have included:
- Examiner and Coordinator of Trial Pre Fellowship Examinations.
- Directed lectures and operative teaching to registrars, junior/senior medical and nursing staff internationally at National Referral Hospital, Honiara, Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands
- Directed orthopaedic teaching to junior medical staff and AMC candidates, Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital
- Anatomy Tutor, Department of Anatomy, University of Newcastle, Callaghan Campus Teaching Medicine, Occupational Therapy, Medical Radiation Technology at an undergraduate level.
- Undergraduate Medical teaching, UNSW
AMA Scholarship in Medicine Award 1999
Global Medical Foundation
This is a not for profit, voluntary medical organization that runs medical missions to underprivileged parts of the world. Dr Qurashi has participated in missions as a specialist surgeon providing orthopaedic services and education.
– Global Medical Foundation Mission to Nepal April 2015
- A Charity Mission to Kathmandu Nepal conducted at the B R Smriti Memorial Hospital Nepal as supervising orthopaedic surgeon on a voluntary basis, accompanied by a full team.
– Global Medical Foundation Mission to Philippines January 2016
- A Charity Mission to Nueva Vizcaya conducted at Regional Referral Hospital NVP as supervising orthopaedic surgeon on a voluntary basis, accompanied by a full team.
This is an initiative by the Australian Orthopaedic Association with travelling missions to the South Pacific providing Orthopaedic services and education.
– Pacific Island Program Mission to Honiara, Guadalcanal, Solomon Island, Orthopaedic Outreach 2005
- Dr Qurashi’s involvement was as a travelling registrar in with a team comprised of a consultant orthopaedic surgeon (Professor John Stephen) and anaesthetist (Dr Ian Woodforth). Duties included performing operations and teaching operative techniques to local registrars, junior and senior staff including arthroscopic knee surgery, intramedullary long bone nailing, flexible nailing, hip fracture fixation, use of traction table etc.
Team Doctor, South Sydney Juniors (Rabbitohs), NRL, 2005
This was also a very enjoyable and entertaining undertaking, at the request of a colleague (Dr J Tsingos) who was involved with the team on a fulltime basis. Duties included providing on field, sideline and off field medical support for the players (all grades). This was a voluntary unpaid exercise.
SuperPATH Technique, Microport Orthopaedics, 2014
SuperPATH Technique, Wright Medical, San Diego, 2013
SuperPATH technique, Cadaveric workshops, Denver CO 2013
Difficult Revision Arthroplasty, Zimmer Institute, Sydney 2013
Kinespring Implantation course, Moximed, San Francisco, CA, USA, 2012
Hip arthroscopic Techniques, Melbourne 2012
Advance Techniques in Pelvic Surgery AO, Graz, Austria, 2010
Advance Techniques in Foot and Ankle Surgery Trauma, Graz, Austria, 2010
Depuy Uncemented THR workshop, Lyon, France 2010
Total Ankle Replacement, Advance Techniques, Bristol, UK 2010
Depuy Advance Trauma Workshop, Depuy Australia, Melbourne, 2009
Hand and Wrist Trauma Workshop, Hand Innovations, Miami, Florida, 2008
Computer Navigated Joint Replacement, Stryker Australia, 2005
Applied Anatomy and Surgical Approaches and Dissection, Zimmer Institute, 2005
Arthroscopic Surgery, Northern Clinical School, RNSH, 2004
Arbietgeminschaft Osteosynthesefragen, Internal Fixation and Fracture Management, AO Oceania, 2004
Basic Surgical Skills, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, 2002
Early Management of Severe Trauma, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, 2002
Care of the Critically Ill Surgical Patient, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, 2004
Cooking (All, especially Sub continental and Eastern Cuisines)
Four Wheel Driving/ Camping (with utmost regard and respect for nature bush tracks)